EU revamps the EDEN competitors to award tourism sustainability pioneers
BRUSSELS, April 22, 2021 /PRNewswire/ — Immediately, the European Fee launches the European Vacation spot of Excellence (EDEN) 2022 competitors. This initiative rewards one of the best achievements in sustainable tourism and inexperienced transition practices in smaller locations throughout Europe.
EDEN was first launched by the European Fee in 2007 as an initiative to reward non-traditional, rising sustainable tourism locations in Europe primarily based on nationwide competitions. The initiative has been redesigned and up to date in view of the European Inexperienced Deal objectives and it’ll contribute to the restoration and resilience of tourism locations impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. It covers EU nations as effectively non-EU nations collaborating within the COSME programme. The competitors addresses smaller tourism locations which may showcase their excellent achievements in sustainability and encourage different tourism locations of their inexperienced transition.
The European Locations of Excellence is an EU initiative, carried out by the European Fee. Its purpose is to recognise and award smaller locations which have in place profitable methods to spice up sustainable tourism by means of inexperienced transition practices. The competitors is based upon the precept of selling the event of sustainable tourism in locations which brings worth to the financial system, the planet and the folks.
With the intention to compete for the 2022 European Vacation spot of Excellence title, locations are requested to exhibit their finest practices in sustainable tourism and inexperienced transition. Functions will first be evaluated by a panel of unbiased sustainability specialists. Within the second step, 3 shortlisted cities might be requested to current their metropolis’s candidature in entrance of the European Jury. The European Jury will choose one winner, the European Vacation spot of Excellence 2022, which might be introduced in November 2021.
The successful vacation spot might be positioned as a tourism sustainability pioneer dedicated to the European Inexperienced Deal goals and can obtain skilled communication and branding assist on the EU degree all through 2022.
To use, vacation spot representatives are requested to finish an online form. The deadline for functions is 16 June 2021 at 17:00 CET.
For all the newest information go to the European Destinations of Excellence website.
European Locations of Excellence Secretariat:
Antigoni Avgeropoulou, email@example.com, +49 (0) 30 70 01 86 390
Notes to Editors
- Since 2007, the European Fee supported EU Member States and different nations collaborating within the COSME programme to reward non-traditional, rising sustainable tourism locations in Europe by means of the ‘European Vacation spot of Excellence” (EDEN) award. This motion aimed to foster sustainable tourism vacation spot administration fashions throughout Europe by choosing and selling EDEN locations. To this point, 175 locations from 27 totally different nations have obtained the award below totally different annual themes.
- In 2019 the “Examine on EDEN analysis” was carried out to evaluate the continued relevance, effectiveness, effectivity and impression of the EDEN initiative and the assorted actions carried out in its framework, in addition to its coherence with different EU initiatives. Following the outcomes and suggestions of the analysis examine, the European Fee relaunched the initiative which is renewed, making an allowance for European Inexperienced Deal objectives. Along with the EU nations, it additionally covers non-EU nations collaborating within the COSME programme. The competitors addresses smaller tourism locations which may showcase their excellent achievements in sustainability and encourage different tourism locations of their inexperienced transition.
- The EDEN Award was carried out first as a pilot venture and as a preparatory motion initiated by the European Parliament and since 2011 has continued below the CIP/COSME programmes.
- The competitors for the European Vacation spot of Excellence 2022 opened on 22 April 2021. Particulars on find out how to apply and phrases and circumstances might be discovered at https://ec.europa.eu/eden. The deadline for functions is 16 June 2021 at 17:00 CET.
- The competitors is open to cities and cities within the EU Member States and non-EU nations collaborating within the COSME programme, with a inhabitants between 25,000 – 100,000. For small states with whole inhabitants under 1 million, locations with above 5,000 inhabitants are eligible to use. Please seek advice from the Information for Candidates for extra info.
- Eligible functions might be evaluated towards a set of established evaluation standards, by a panel of unbiased sustainability specialists. The European Fee, primarily based on the analysis by specialists, will shortlist 3 cities, which might be invited to current their candidatures in entrance of a European Jury. The European Jury will choose one European Vacation spot of Excellence 2022.
- Locations shortlisted as finalists might be introduced in September 2021 and the winner might be revealed in November 2021.
 Albania, Armenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, Kosovo, Moldova, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Serbia, Turkey, Ukraine and United Kingdom. https://ec.europa.eu/docsroom/documents/39579
SOURCE European Vacation spot of Excellence